The yachting industry has always been an accelerator for cutting edge technology. Contrary to domestic circumstances where raw water quality is of a more or less consistent quality, extra care has to be taken when the source is a tank. Reverse Osmosis treated seawater (coming from a watermaker) as one source, commonly found on medium sized and large yachts is of superior quality than potable water, yet a variety of minerals, essential to a healthy ph level (alkaline, above 7 ph) and pleasant taste is lost in the process.
Once in the tank, the water is subject to further possible contamination. Temperatures around 25°C provide ideal conditions for divers pathogens (bacteria, viruses, cysts). Further older tanks potentially leak heavy metals into the water, either from non food-grade coatings or its raw material itself.
The water quality provided from mains (tap) connections in port strongly depend on the yachts’ cruising area. Although the mains water will comply in most countries with national potable quality standards it must not be considered safe, healthy and tasty. Besides questionable levels of organic and inorganic matter these sources contain pharmaceutical residues, micro plastics and disinfection by products, causing serious long term heath risks.
It is crucial for a longterm trustworthy complete solution providing the correct quality with reasonable maintenance efforts and minimal costs on consumables, to have water purification solutions downstream the watertanks as close as possible to the drinking water outlet(s) and to have the following treatment stages, pre-filtration, purification and postfiltration/remineralizing, that are in deep explained further on this page Filtration/purification levels and stage
Water without waste offers 2 product ranges consisting of these stages:
I. The Compact Power product range consists of high quality equipment (filtration and purification on the highest level to remove all bacteria, viruses, antibiotics, pesticides, metals, micro plastics, disinfection by products and adding minerals to guarantee superior drinking water) and provides healthy drinking water by direct flow (no storage/expansion tanks).
All systems come complete including a 1-,2- or 3-way drinking water faucet and installation kit.
- /2. Compact Power (Silent) P-purified/PS-purified, sparkling, 100 liter/hour (2 liter/minute)
- Sizes: 445 x 430 mm and 10,5 mm high
- Horizontal or vertical installation is possible for the Compact Power P and vertical for the Compact Power PS.
- Anti-flooding sensor, very restricted maintenance, automatic flushes, prefilter replacement alarm.
- Electrical power supply 220VAC-50Hz
- Maximum power consumption 120 W
- Weight 6,5 kg
- Output (direct flow) 100-130 liter (2 or 3 membranes)
- Co2 bottle (for Compact Power PS) Refillable CO2 bottle of 2 kg (240-360 liters depending on fizzyness) or disposable CO2 bottle of 600 gr
3. Compact Power P XS for purified drinking water up to 130 l/hr or 165 l /hr from a very slim stainless steel unit
The Compact Power XS P stainless steel (304) unit, focus besides on best quality drinking water on high flow. The restricted sizes make it the most compact and powerful unit.
- Installation either vertical or horizontal
- Anti-flooding sensor, automatic flushes, pre filter replacement alarm.
- Electrical power supply 220VAC-50Hz
- Output (direct flow) 100-130 liter/hr (3 membranes) or 135-165 liter/hr (4 membranes)
- Sizes: 100-130 liter/hr flow 435 x 378 mm and 9,5 mm high
- Sizes: 135-165 liter/hr flow 550 x 445 mm x 130 mm high
- Weight: XS P100-130 liter 6,5 kg
- Weight: XS P135-165 liter 20 kg
All Compact Power purifiers can be combined with a chiller/carbonator unit for optimal convenience of having purified chilled and purified chilled sparkling drinking water on tap.
II. SMART Solution
The smart solution is manufactured by Aquablu in the Netherlands. Water without Waste is the Aquablu dealer for the nautical industry worldwide. The focus of this smart equipment is to provide healthy drinking water while at all times smart control of the drinking water and maintenance due. Probes and sensors monitor water quality and technical status of the equipment and can be read out via NFC (near field communication) from your smartphone (newer versions) or from the smart tap that comes with the equipment.
The direct flow output of the PoU-100 is 100 liters/hour. It can be combined with a chiller/carbonator unit for chilled purified and chilled purified sparkling drinking water. Incoming water hardness for this equipment is maximum 10° DH (amount of dissolved Calcium and Magnesium minerals), meaning that using a softener is required as first part of the pre-filtration for a reliable use. It is recommended to have the softener before the tank, besides protecting the purifiers membrane it prevents calcium scale up throughout your whole piping system, avoids calcium stains in bathrooms, galleys and deck wash-downs and gives a superior sensation under your shower.
For a proposal on the most appropriate solution for your yacht, please get in touch or drop us a note: